What is an artist membership?
The standard artist membership at Gallery X has gone by many different names during our 30+ years; (Active/Non-Active, Full/Associate, Participating/Non-Participating, Standard, etc.) but they all mean the same thing… you are an integral part of New Bedford’s art scene and a member of one of the oldest continually operating art gallery’s in the area. All standard artist members receive the full benefits of Gallery X membership as outlined below.
The standard artist membership is for all artists, performers, and writers, age 18 and up. Individuals and families of all ages and backgrounds are welcome, whether you are a hobbyist looking to share your talents, a professional artist with years of experience, a student just beginning to explore the art world, or anyone and everyone in between Gallery X welcomes you.
Am I an artist?
Of course! At Gallery X we recognize that everyone is an artist with their own individual talents, skills, and interpretations of their medium. Our membership includes traditional visual artists creating in nearly every medium (painting, printmaking, photography, ceramics, jewelry, sculpture, etc) as well as musicians, poets, actors, and improv comedians. Members of Gallery X come from a wide array of backgrounds, we are made up of formally trained artists, self taught artists, students, and hobbyists of all ages and skill levels.
How do I join?
Simply fill out a membership application and bring it, along with examples of your work (photographs, originals, recordings, etc.), to a Gallery X members meeting, held the second Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm. We ask that prospective members introduce themselves at the beginning of the meeting and provide some background on themselves and their work. Applicants are welcome to stay for the entire meeting to gain an understanding of how Gallery X operates. All new member applications will be voted on at the end of the meeting at which point you will be notified of the members’ decision regarding your application.
(all artists age 18-64)
(for artist’s with a handicap or disability)
(artists age 65+)
(for a family of multiple artists,
up to 2 adults and 4 dependents)
(artists of any age enrolled at least part time at a college or university)
*Memberships run 12 months from the month joined, annual dues can be broken into installments.
**Members are eligible to receive a $20 credit towards the following years renewal dues for each day they gallery sit during the year, for a maximum credit of $80.
- Submit artwork to all Gallery X exhibitions free of charge.
- Discounted commission rate. Gallery X members are subject to a 25% commission on works sold (non-members are subject to a 35% commission).
- Members in good standing after a minimum one year of membership can submit proposals for a free small group or one person show in the Douglass Gallery.
- Curatorial opportunities for members to mount special themed exhibitions.
- Be part of a community of artists and creatives working in a plethora of media and styles.
- Permanent representation in the gallery store, Something Xtra.
- 10% discount on all Gallery X purchases.
- 50% discount on event or exhibition rentals.
- Sponsor performances, readings, or other events.
- Profile on the Gallery X Members’ page on our website. (coming soon)
- Members are encouraged to attend monthly meetings, held the second Wednesday of every month at 6:00pm. Artist members are eligible to vote on proposals and new member applications
- Whenever possible members are expected to volunteer their time assisting in gallery activities and operations such as; assist in hanging exhibitions, patching and painting walls between shows, keeping the gallery clean.
Gallery X promotes a mission of cultural outreach through community partnerships, programming, and monthly art exhibits to stimulate artistic awareness in New Bedford and the surrounding communities. We offer a platform for artists, performers, and creatives of all ages, skill levels, and backgrounds a safe, professional space to showcase their talents. Gallery X does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, ethnic background, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or religious beliefs.