Call for Art!
Submission Dates: August 21 through September 5, 2021
On View: September 8 through October 3, 2021
Opening Reception: Saturday, September 11 (5-8:00pm)
Aha! Night: Thursday, September 9 (5-8:00pm)
Gallery X invites you to submit artwork for an exhibition, interpreting the term “Monochrome”.
White is the blending of all colors, black the absence of color; between, infinite possibilities.
Artists have used a single color as a vehicle for exploring both the potential and limitations of image making, using this reductive formula to experiment with composition, tonality and subject matter. For this exhibition, we are broadening our definition of monochrome to include images created with one prominent color or a limited color palette.
*Artists are strongly encouraged to submit images as part of a series or a portion of a portfolio (up to five images) in any medium. Create a narrative through photographs, drawings, print making, etc. While this exhibition will be hung in Gallery X for in-person viewing it will also be entirely viewable, here, on our website.
About the gallery
Founded in 1990, Gallery X is a wonderfully unique nonprofit member driven artists space in historic downtown New Bedford, MA. Housed in the former 1855 Universalist Church, Gallery X continues to engage the community through education, creative partnerships, and outreach.
About the curator
David Walega is a member of Gallery X, an established designer, photojournalist, and fine artist. As a contributing photographer, his work has been published in publications worldwide documenting social justice and international projects for UNICEF and Human Rights Watch among others. For more information contact the curator at email@example.com.
In-Person Submission Guidelines and Info
• Artists must fill out a submission slip for each piece they are submitting. Slips available in gallery.
• Submission Fees (for non-members): $10 per piece or $40 for 5 pieces, maximum 5 pieces per artist. Free for members.
• Artists of all levels and working in any medium are welcome to submit.
• All work must be wall ready and include proper hanging hardware. Pedestals are available for sculptural or three dimensional work.
• Gallery X will handle all sales and retain 35% commission on any sale made by non-members. Members are subject to 25% commission on works sold.
• If shipping work please include prepaid return postage and contact the curator to make arrangements.
• Any unsold work can be picked up at the conclusion of the show on October 3. Due to limited storage capacity we ask that all work be picked up within 1 week of the close of the show.
Virtual (Online Only) Submission Guidelines and Info
• Submission Fees (for non-members): $5 per piece, Free for members.
• Gallery X will will handle all sales and retain 35% commission on any sale made by non-members. Members are subject to 25% commission on works sold. Works do not have to be for sale to be included.
• For any sale of work from the online only portion of the exhibition Gallery X will coordinate with the buyer and artist to have worked shipped and/or picked up as agreed upon.
To submit work to be included in the virtual portion of the exhibition please email a photo of the piece or pieces being submitted (multiple views can be sent for 3D work) to GalleryXNB@gmail.com with Monochrome in the subject line. Please include the following information:
• Your name as it should appear on the site
• Phone number
• Title of piece
• Dimensions of piece (width x height in inches)
• Medium/media used
• Price (if for sale)
• How it is presented (framed, mounted, stretched canvas, etc.)
You will then be emailed a link to pay the submission fee online (fee may also be paid over the phone).